A truck driver is not solely dedicated to driving the vehicle. Their tasks and responsibilities go much further, therefore it is necessary for this professional to have good preparation and training.
First of all, the truck driver must be responsible for carrying the delivery (merchandise) from one point to another with the vehicle. This professional must ensure that the merchandise arrives in good condition and within the required time frame.
During the transport of the merchandise, the truck driver has to comply with all traffic regulations to increase his safety, that of the merchandise, and that of other road users. However, traffic regulations are not the only ones that you must comply with, also those related to breaks, loading, etc.
The rules are tightened whenever the loads involve some risk. This happens during the transport of dangerous goods, for this reason, the truck driver is required to be more prepared, a preparation that also entails an increase in his salary.
What else should a truck driver do?
Their tasks do not end with the driving of the vehicle and the optimal and safe transport of the goods. The truck driver must also keep the vehicle in good condition and try to make the delivery time and fuel profitable, not only to save costs but also to reduce CO2 emissions.
Documentation is another highlight. Any professional must be responsible for invoices, delivery notes, etc. if they want to be a carrier.
The main requirements for driving a truck are as follows:
- Obtain a truck license: One of the most important requirements to drive a truck is to obtain a C license to drive trucks. To do this, you will have to take the course to obtain the C1-C permit, a course in which you will discover the techniques and processes involved in driving, road safety, and transporting vehicles with a mass equal to or greater than 3,500 kg of MMA. (C1 from 3,500 to 7,500 KG, C over 7,500 KG)
- Obtain the CAP: another of the essential requirements is to obtain the initial CAP. The CAP is the mandatory Professional Aptitude certificate for all drivers who transport goods, as well as for those who transport travelers. If you want to know more details about this certificate, we recommend the ‘ CAP Guide ‘.
In addition to these requirements, a truck driver must:
- Be in shape: it is necessary to lead a healthy life and be in shape to meet the demanding workdays behind the wheel.
- Have the ability to concentrate: the ability to concentrate must be high, avoiding distractions that can cause accidents.
- Respect traffic rules: it will be necessary to respect all traffic rules to avoid incidents as much as possible.
- Comply with transport regulations: you must comply with regulations related to driving and rest times, cargo stowage, etc. In addition to the specific one according to the cargo transported (dangerous goods, live animals, etc.).
- Have empathy with other users: especially with the most vulnerable and showing solidarity on the road when they need your collaboration.
- Caring for the environment: we are in a climate emergency situation and your way of driving can greatly reduce pollution and energy consumption.
- Have digital skills: to be able to use new technologies related to transport control and management.
- Be aware of the importance of your profession: guaranteeing the supply of the population even in the most unfavorable conditions (health, climatic, chemical emergencies, etc.).
- Take care of your health and diet: Some studies confirm that truck drivers are exposed to heart disease. This is due to the number of hours that any driver spends behind the wheel transporting goods, that is, a sedentary lifestyle. Also to eating habits, since they usually consume low-quality food to discourage boredom or drowsiness that they may feel during the journey.
- Take care of posture: posture is another of the key points to deal with. Carrying a correct posture behind the wheel is essential so that they can practice the profession for years. And, a bad posture at the wheel can cause serious damage.
Regarding the skills necessary to exercise the profession of carrier:
- Have knowledge of road safety regulations.
- Be supportive.
- Efficiency in the exercise of the profession.
- Efficiency in transportation.
- Have knowledge about ecology.
- Have empathy.
- Have digital skills.